• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Celebrating 25 years of ‘Baba Booey!’

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalek

Celebrating 25 years of ‘Baba Booey!’

dpk_3062.jpg

Twenty-five years ago, Howard Stern Show producer Gary Dell’Abate incorrectly called cartoon character Baba Looey by the name Baba Booey. Since that day, the legendary Baba Booey has blown up and weaved its way into sports and pop culture. There have been songs, it’s been referenced in TV shows, and yelled on golf courses across the globe.

If you're a long time Stern fan like myself, hearing those classic Gary moments are hillarious.

Some of my favorites:

Gary's First Pitch:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELfQmtaBUaA

The "Apology" tape is revealed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdAl6LgmLcE

All Stern Fans share your favorite Baba Booeys

When I was a young teen and discovered the channel 9 show, before the radio show was syndicated in Chicago, I couldn't believe how much abuse was heaped upon that horse-toothed jackass.

It blew my mind that adults were allowed to act like that.

It's also amazing that Sal the Stockbroker basically got his gig on the show for his years of relentless and unpaid abuse of Fa-fa-flo-hi. One moment that sticks with me in particular is the Lighting of the Teeth ceremony.

We have with us on the phone, Mr. Higgins....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lP8TwjRMdS0

That was a totally farcical call.

Some of the songs Richard comes up with are so fucking funny I have to pull over because im laughing so hard. Gary is a huge part of the show, and I love when he gets goofed on. He takes most of the shit now with Jackie and John gone from the show.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
bawf
The tape he made for that girl who dumped him is the most cringey thing ever... worse than that guy having a meltdown in McDonald's over My Little Pony Happy Meal toys.

Brakke

Banned
Howard Stern is a knucklehead of a guy but fuck if I haven't listened to his show a whole bunch.

He's a really good uncle figure. Not exactly someone to look up to but definitely someone to appreciate.

Toparaman

Banned
Howard Stern is a knucklehead of a guy but fuck if I haven't listened to his show a whole bunch.

He's a really good uncle figure. Not exactly someone to look up to but definitely someone to appreciate.

His show is kinda before my time as far as the peak years are concerned, but there was about a 3 month period in 2012 where I listened obsessively to it, mostly through clips on YouTube. It's a fascinating show from a pop cultural perspective. Howard was a bullying douche at times, but he sure could do entertaining radio.

l41m4lAV1RzVZDBIc.gif

His finest moment IMO.

I love it when Sal is driving him crazy. The Jesus Twins ripping on him in their first appearance was pretty funny too.

Edit: oh, and Sal's roast of him during the Gary roast is legendary.

webkatt

bawf
The tape he made for that girl who dumped him is the most cringey thing ever... worse than that guy having a meltdown in McDonald's over My Little Pony Happy Meal toys.

I'd like to see this McDonalds video

Dalek

l41m4lAV1RzVZDBIc.gif

His finest moment IMO.

I love it when Sal is driving him crazy. The Jesus Twins ripping on him in their first appearance was pretty funny too.

Edit: oh, and Sal's roast of him during the Gary roast is legendary.

Boff I just closed my eyes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom